The Building Department is located at City Hall, 310 Greenwood St., Grand Ledge MI 48837. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Contact the Building Department at (517) 622-4756 or via Building@cityofgrandledge.com.
PLEASE NOTE: With rain and snow, some residential and other properties become inundated with water. While the City remains sympathetic to these challenging situations, the City is not legally responsible for water flow from adjoining private property owners. Under Michigan law, a municipality is not obligated to construct drainage infrastructure to confine naturally flowing surface water. It is unlawful, however, for a property owner to interfere with the natural flow of water in a manner that causes artificial diversion, blockage, or concentration onto another property. If you have reason to believe the burden on your property has been increased by such artificial interference, please know that this is a private legal matter for resolution between property owners and their insurers, not an area of liability for the City and its taxpaying residents.
The following permit applications may be filled out online, but must be delivered or mailed to the Building Department:
The City of Grand Ledge enforces the Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical codes of the State of Michigan. The following are the current codes in effect in the City:
- International Fire Code (2006)
- International Property Maintenance Code (2009)
- Michigan Building Code (2015)
- Michigan Mechanical Code (2015)
- Michigan Plumbing Code (2015)
- Michigan Residential Code (2015)
- Michigan Energy Code (2015)
- Michigan Rehabilitation Code (2015)
- Michigan Electrical Codes Rules Part 8 (Including National Electrical Code 2014)
- Note: Public Acts 54, 192, 217, 290, 733 have been replaced by Public Act 407
The following links are a set of references and specifications for various building requirements in the City of Grand Ledge: